- T-shirt or natural fabric
- Inkjet printer
- Heat press (recommended) or Hand Iron
- Wax paper
- Extra piece of cotton fabric
This paper has a white base color and is opaque, so your fabric color will not show through your design. This makes it
perfect for using on darker fabrics. The content of the fabric must be 100% natural, cotton, linen or silk. Fine woven
fabrics or smooth fabrics will give best results.
Pre wash Fabric
Pre wash your material and dry thoroughly before applying design. This avoids any shrinkage after design is applied.
Design and Print Image
1. Design artwork for printing.
2. Load Hayes Paper Co White Heat Transfer Paper into printer. The white, coated surface is the surface you need to print on. The backside will have a grid or a smooth plastic/ waxed feel.
3. Set Inkjet printer settings to normal print setting setting or Plain Paper High Quality works great. Image resolution should be over 300 DPI for best results.
4. Print design (do NOT mirror) and let it dry for 15 minutes before pressing.
5. Cut close to the edge of your design using scissors or a circuit cutter to avoid any white edges.
Heat Press Machine Instructions
- Preheat the press machine to 330°F or 165°C and set to medium - high pressure.
- Press fabric for 5 seconds to remove creases.
- Peel the paper backing from transfer and position design onto fabric, printed image facing up.
- Place wax paper over Image and then a piece of cotton over the wax paper to protect the image from the press. You may also use a Teflon heat protection sheet and omit the wax paper and layer of cotton.
- Press for 30-45 seconds.
- Open the press and remove the fabric.
- Peel off wax paper and cotton fabric to reveal design.
Hand Iron Instructions
- Turn on hand iron to the highest heat setting (cotton/ linen). Do not steam.
- Iron on a hard surface, with a layer of cotton to protect the surface.
- Iron fabric for 5 seconds to remove creases.
- Peel paper backing off transfer image. Position design onto fabric, printed image facing up.
- Place wax paper over Image and then a piece of cotton over the wax paper to protect the image from Iron. You may also use a Teflon heat protection sheet and omit the wax paper and layer of cotton.
- Place iron on top of the image and apply firm pressure between 30-45 seconds and then move iron to areas that you have not pressed and hold for 30-35 seconds on each area.
- Once all areas have been pressed, move iron quickly over the whole design for about 10 seconds.
- Remove iron, cotton and wax paper to reveal design.
Leave fabric to dry for 24 hours before washing. To wash, turn the t-shirt inside out. Use a cold water setting. Do not use
bleach, fabric softeners or other harsh chemicals on the transfer. Dry at low heat. Do not iron directly over transfer.
For more tips on applying Hayes Heat Transfer Paper, check out our blog post.