Applying water slide decals is easy, follow these 6 steps below or check out our video.
1. Print your design onto Hayes Paper Co.® - Water-slide Decal paper, using an inkjet printer. Set print settings to high quality print, gloss photo paper for best results. Let paper dry for at least 3 minutes after printing.
2. Take printed paper and acrylic spray outside to a well ventilated space: Spray an even coat of the acrylic spray over your design. Allow to dry for 60 seconds or until dry to touch. Then apply two more coats. Three coats in total making sure each coat is completely dry before applying the next coat. Let the paper dry for a few minutes.
3. Use scissors to cut out your design. Do NOT cut right to the edge of your design, leave 2-3mm of spacing.
4. Fill your bowl with room temperature water. Submerge you pre cut decal for 30-60 seconds or until the middle of the decal can easily be slid around. Remove from water.
5. Quickly apply it to your clean decal surface. Position decal, backing side down and gently slide backing off. Keep the backing flush with your project as you gently pull it out from behind the decal. Press firmly, use your fingers, a damp cloth/ paper towel or a mini squeegee to remove air bubbles. Gently pad off any excess water.
6. Let the decal set and dry for at least 3 hours. Don’t expose to direct sunlight during this time.
Ceramics can be baked in an oven at 230 degrees fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes. Ceramics are NOT dishwasher safe and should be cleaned by a gentle hand wash.
Epoxy can be applied over the entire project to give a final glass like finish.
Epoxied projects are NOT dishwasher safe and should be cleaned by a gentle hand wash.
Have a question about waterslide decals? Check out our Waterslide Decal FAQs or read more tips on our blog post: Common Mistakes to Avoid when using Waterslide Decal Paper